Chapman Valley Menshed was established in September 2012. Since then we have established a relationship with the Shire of Chapman Valley to find a suitable plot of land to construct a shed, as well as become an incorporated organization and register 14 members.
The group formed with the aim to:
- Foster mateship
- Be a productive and valuable to the community
- Support the well-being and health of their members
- Connect to friends and maintain an active body and an active mind.
The objects of the Shed are to advance the health and well-being of our members by providing a safe and happy environment where skilled and unskilled men can, in the company of other men:
- Pursue hobbies, pastimes and interests
- Learn new skills, practice and pass on old skills
- Learn about their own and other men’s health and well-being
- Contribute to their families, their friends, the Shed and their community
- Mentor younger men
- Establishing a local community centre
- Promote health wellbeing friendship and purpose.
What are Men's Sheds?“Mens Sheds” originated from the idea that most men have learned from our culture not to talk about feelings and emotions and therefore are less likely to ask for help when needed leading them to suffer from isolation, loneliness and depression.
Men’s shed gives a man a safe and busy environment where he can be productive and valuable to the community, connect with friends new and old, maintain an active body and mind as well as giving them the opportunity to feel good about themselves.
And, importantly, there is no pressure. Men can just come and talk if that is all they’re looking for or can become involved in many of the community based projects that are being undertaken.